Publications and Videos
The Center for Children’s Advocacy offers many publications that you can read or order online:
Additional Publications and Videos from the Center for Children’s Advocacy
- Blind Spot: The Impact of Missed Early Warning Signs on Children’s Mental Health
Andrea Spencer, PhD, Educational Consultant to the Center for Children’s Advocacy, 2012
- Truancy Models and Intervention: National Models and Connecticut Initiatives
Center for Children’s Advocacy, December 2011
- Truancy and Education Reports
Two reports by Andrea Spencer, PhD, Educational Consultant to the Center for Children’s Advocacy
- A closer look at the link between unmet educational needs and truancy, December 2006
- Las Niñas Silenciadas: Broken links between language, culture and learning, February 2009
- Why Should I Care about Absences in High School?
For parents: what will happen if your child is often absent or tardy in high school?
- Changing the Judiciary’s Relaltionship with a Community, One Child at a Time
ABA Judges’ Journal Summer 2007 Features the work of Justice Richard Palmer and Appellate Judge Douglas Lavine with the Truancy Court Prevention Project
- Legal Rights in Juvenile Detention (English or Spanish)
Question and answer handbook developed in collaboration with the Connecticut Judicial Branch.
- Life After Lockup - Legal Rights when You Come Back to School and Community
Question and answer book on the legal rights of youth returning to school and the community from CJTS, Juvenile Detention or Residential Placement.
- Vera Institute Report: Making Court the Last Resort
Supporting Families in Crisis
- Education vs. Incarceration: The Real Cost of Failing Our Kids
CPTV documentary featuring Center for Children’s Advocacy executive director Martha Stone. Examines the state’s alarming incarceration of children.
- Providing Holistic Legal Services to Children in their Communities
Clearinghouse Review, 2005
- Legal Rights in Foster Care – Speak Up! Video Series
Topics: I Need to Reach Someone Now What? Getting Heard Moving On
From the Center’s Medical Legal Partnership Project
- Medical Legal Partnership: Doctors & Lawyers Work Together to Solve Problems that Harm Health
- Facts about the Medical Legal Partnership Project
- Info Card on Meeting Basic Needs for Clients (English) (Spanish)
- Physician’s Report for Child’s Claim of Disability
- Resource Card for Pediatric Practitioners (PDA format)
Important resources to help families access benefits and services
- Children’s Disability – SSI Code Card
Disability advocacy for pediatric practitioners.
- Is it Confidential? Guide to Reproductive Healthcare for Teens (English or Spanish)
- Immigration Law in the Medical Setting
- Judicial Intervention For Morbidly Obese Children (PPT)
- How to Keep your Lights and Gas Turned On - Helping Families Avoid Utility Shutoff
- Helping Families Understand Workplace Rights - Employment Law for parents whose children have chronic or extraordinary medical conditions